Morgan Gonzales Headshot

Health journalism student hones skills with Dallas Morning News Fellowship

Morgan Gonzales was the first to participate in a newly created health-science writing fellowship with Dallas Morning News.

Morgan Gonzales Headshot

Morgan Gonzales (Photo/ Mary Beth Gonzales)

The UGA Health and Medical Program and the Pulitzer prize-winning Dallas paper created the fellowship to provide hands-on training to the next generation of reporters interested in writing about health and science.

I’ll definitely be utilizing the lessons I’ve learned,” Morgan said in an interview for the College of Journalism and Mass Communication series, InternViews. “I’ve learned stories don’t always go the direction I think they will…The stories that surprise me are usually the best,” she said.

Gonzales participated in the fellowship remotely during summer 2021, as COVID-19 continued to disrupt travel. Still, she had the opportunity to interview many people, including an Olympic diver.

Read more about Gonzales— a second-year student in the health journalism program— by visiting her author page for The Dallas Morning News and reading her Q&A with UGA’s InternViews.